Day 1...

Day 1...

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Engine Running Much Better

I picked up a set of 6 used fuel injectors from another D-owner who migrated to a non-KJet (non-stock) setup on his car. After soaking them in parts cleaner for about a week, I blew them out with compressed air. Then I did another fuel flow test with my existing injectors. I found one injector that was not passing the same volume as the rest. I replaced this injector with one of the used injectors and then performed the test again. This time all the injectors were passing the same volume.

At this point I did another test and visually inspected the spray pattern of each injector. All looked fine to me so I called it blessed and put everything back together.

I was able to get it running (after some issues priming the system --> more about that later). I heard a few misses in the first 30-60 seconds but then it cleared up and sounded great. I do hear a bit of a lifter tick maybe but nothing too bad. Here is a video of everything running last night.


My issue now is with starting the car. I'm having to manually push the air-plate and in-turn plunger down on the mixture unit to get enough spray to the injectors to get it kicked-off. It's a delicate process because too much floods it quickly. I'm not sure if this is a cold start valve, control pressure regulator, thermotime switch, or accumulator (rest pressure) problem. The accumulator was replaced ~18 months ago so and I'm getting pressure when I push down on the air plate with the car recently off so I think that's working OK. I'll have to research a bit more and figure this out.

I'm really pleased with where the car is right now. Finally making some much needed progress!