Day 1...

Day 1...

Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Still sorting out fuel system demons

When this is all said and done, I should be an expert with this Bosch K-Jet mechanical fuel injection system. It's been frustrating to say the least but informative and I refuse to give up and pay someone to fix this. It's a pride issue now!

I purchased a replacement fuel distributor from DPI. Josh pulled it off a known good working setup so I shouldn't have to worry about this being DOA. I also swapped out the upper air mixture unit. After assembling everything back and trying to start the car, it still runs like crap. I suspect everything is pretty far out of adjustment so I need to adjust the mixture.

Before adjusting the mixture, I picked up a pressure testing kit off Amazon. This is the official Bosch K-Jet CIS kit that connects between the fuel distributor and the WUR with a gate valve on the WUR side so you can read pressure differences. I tested the pressure straight off the fuel distributor last night and was reading right under 70 psi. I believe that is within the operating limits but will need to check my service manual to be sure.