Day 1...

Day 1...

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

New Cooling Fan (Temporary) Solution

Today has been more planning and researching how to properly temp in the manual cooling fan switch. After sharing thoughts with some of the forum members today and yesterday, I've come to the conclusion to possibly use 2 relays and 2 20A ATC fuses (one for each fan). This way, if one fan fails and overloads the circuit, it won't take the other one out as a result. Here's what I've got so far:


I may omit the fan-fail relay portion for now, since I'm isolating the fans individually and this would require additional mapping and thought. In the process, I'm going to remove the original spec circuit breaker that currently is sequenced in between the fan and fan-fail relays.

So it looks like all I need to do at this point is pick up a couple of relays and fuse holders. I've got everything else left over from other projects already.

I'm going to have to test and rewire the second fan in the process. Hopefully I won't have any surprises on that second fan (fingers-crossed).

Here's a pic of the relay and fuse bank behind the passenger seat and above the battery compartment. Both the original fan and fan-fail relays are removed in this pic (this is where the Fanzilla was plugged-in). I will use the fuse-holder plugins from the Fanzilla to temp in my solution. Disregard the hack-wiring on the speakers. That will eventually all be removed.