Day 1...

Day 1...

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Brake System Rebuild Part II


The picture should sum it up. I finished bleeding the brakes today. I ended up having to enlist the help of my lovely wife. I had been using a vacuum pump to try and bleed all the air out myself but that didn't get 100% of the air out.

Overall the pedal feels much better. I don't feel the pedal pumping up as I did before. The car still doesn't stop like a new car, even though it has 4 wheel disc brakes. There is no ABS and I'm not certain that the booster is doing its job; however, from a driving standpoint I think this is a big improvement. It's no doubt after examining the calipers and flexible hoses, the parts and seals needed to be replaced or rebuilt. Couple that with the fact that I replaced the original pads, I'm very pleased with where it is now.

I did take it for a short spin around the block. I got on the brakes fairly hard at about 30 MPH. The car stopped straight and didn't pull to one side, which is another plus.