Day 1...

Day 1...

Monday, September 1, 2014

Fuel Pump Surprise

I decided to drain the fuel tank of the old gas by jumping the RPM relay (like I did during my previous fuel flow tests). I took loose the rubber lines from the metal barbs on the metal lines next to the pump. The return line was a real pain justifying the need to get out the razor knife to get it free.

Before jumping the relay I decided to inspect the fuel pump inner rubber boot, knowing I had a faint fuel smell in this area prior. This is the little surprise I found.









What fun! The return line rubber hose in the tank ripped like a piece of bread when I tried to pull it off. The main line at the bottom of the pump seemed OK though. I am now in the process of putting together a parts list for these rubber parts that have become perished. 

I put the rubber external boot back over the tank lid with a piece of duct tape over the two hose inlets to keep the fumes from escaping. 

One step forward, two steps back. That first drive since the engine fire seems a little more distant after this find. We'll get there though.