Day 1...

Day 1...

Monday, April 11, 2016

New O2 Sensor

Saturday afternoon, I replaced the O2 sensor. The location of this little demon made it a real chore to remove and replace. It's located just behind the catalytic converter on the exhaust outlet, which is subsequently a couple of inches or so away from the engine cradle portion of the frame.

I was able to get it by using a 7/8" tappet wrench and coming at it from the forward side of the engine compartment. I had to lift the rear of the car off the ground several inches and remove the left rear wheel and tire to make room for access.

In the end I was able to get it removed. Installation of the replacement was much quicker once I figured out the best way to get the old one off. I cleaned up the electrical spade coming from the ECU as well while in there.

I have not tested the new O2 sensor yet as I ran out of time over the weekend but I plan on starting the engine this week to see if any change occurs. Here is a pic of the old sensor. It has a lot of carbon buildup and a raw fuel odor to it.