Day 1...

Day 1...

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Front Fascia Eyebrow Repair

Today I tackled the repair of the "eyebrows" on the front fascia. Just a heads-up --> this thread is going to be photo intensive.

The first pic was taken by the PO when the car was still in Phoenix. The next two photos I took today before I started the repairs. Notice the eyebrow warping caused by the sun. This is a common problem with DeLoreans that have spent any significant time in direct sunlight. 




I used a PDF "how-to" created by another DeLorean owner that I found on the dmctalk forum as a guideline to this task. 


Here I have the driver-side reformation in progress. Using a heat gun, and a little patience, I was able to reform the contour back to within 90% of how it would have looked from the factory.


I repeated the process for the passenger-side and then, using a longer & skinnier board, clamped down both sides. Just prior to doing this I used 2 aluminum strips cut to 15" long, 3/4" wide, and 1/8" thick along with some 3M heavy duty windshield glue to reinforce the reformed fascia lip on both sides.

I'm going to leave this as is overnight to allow the windshield glue to dry and cure. I'll update with more pics after I put the headlamps back in for a true before & after comparison.

The entire process took about 5 hours.