Day 1...

Day 1...

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Trim Painting

While I was working on the front fascia eyebrow repair today, I prepped and painted 4 total pieces of trim (the 2 grill inserts just behind each door, and the 2 air-intake grills near the rear fascia.

Here is what the grill inserts looked like before I started.



Notice how the sun faded the fiberglass and made it look more grey than black. The air-intake grills were in similar condition.








I researched the best approach to refinishing these pieces. All DeLorean sources said to paint these trim pieces on the car. My other option was to remove both quarter panels and break the retaining clips that hold these on, order replacements and reverse procedure for installation. So I opted for trying out painting them on the car. First I sanded with 150 grit, then 300, then some fine steel wool. Then I used the alcohol-based paint prep liquid on a towel and wiped down all the surfaces. Then 2 coats of primer followed by 2-3 coats of flat black trim paint. I think it turned out pretty nice for a DIY garage job.



This was a productive Sunday.