Day 1...

Day 1...

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Temp Gauge Fixed

Here's a little more info on what's been going on this week with the car.

First, I fixed the temperature gauge. When I drove the car home from the elementary school down the street, I noticed the temp gauge was stuck in the 6 o'clock position and wouldn't move. I tested the sender on the forward side of the engine (had to remove the air cleaner to get to it). I used the ground clip on my power probe to test the circuit. If everything is properly connected, the gauge should max out when the sender is fully grounded. This did not happen and the test had zero effect on the gauge. After searching and reading a little bit on the dmctalk forum, I saw a post that described taking a paper clip and sneaking it in the tolerance between the plastic dash glass and the trip reset button. I snaked one in and was able to barely touch the temp gauge a couple of times with the end of the paper clip. A quick cycle of the key and the gauge moved/reset back to the normal 100 degree reading position (lowest on the gauge scale).

My next project will be to fix the radiator fan circuit. Currently they are not kicking on when they should.

Finally, here is a brief list of work done on the car since 2004. I received this info over the phone from the mechanic out in Phoenix.

  • New transmission cooler
  • AC works
  • New water pump
  • Various electrical work
  • New exhaust system
  • New gauge cluster (2010)
  • New radiator fans
  • No mildew or other smells
I did notice since I've had the car almost 1 week that its got a slow oil leak. Judging on the location, I suspect it's that notorious rear main seal (See Oct 2011 Wheeler Dealers Delorean episode). I'll deal with that later on down the road. For now, I'll have to remember to keep an eye on the oil level.