Day 1...

Day 1...

Monday, September 29, 2014

Cleaning the Fuel Tank and Components Part II

I was able to use the siphon pump to get out the remaining old fuel Friday night. I also used an old turkey baster to get the final little bit out. 

I picked up some acetone, shop towels, and a $1 grill brush at the hardware store today. I was able to make some headway on the fuel tank cleaning. Here's the last video I shot from inside the tank. I still plan on scrubbing it out one more time and getting the shop towel remnants out of the tank.


Over the weekend I also put together the cleaned fuel pump, hoses, replacement rubber boot (DMCH made it right and sent me a replacement within a couple of days), and so on. I also installed new wire leads for the pump as the old ones were in poor shape.





Finally I cleaned the baffle assembly and fuel basket. I realized it would behoove me to go ahead and replace the fuel pickup line (connects to the bottom of the pump), seeing as this is the only rubber line I haven't replaced on the fuel system since I bought the car! If I recall it's $18 at DMCH.

At this point it looks like a Part III to this part of the project is inevitable. I plan on having this wrapped-up in the next 2-3 weeks.